Listed below are some resources to help you become a more effective teacher. If you are new to the field of ESL/EFL teaching, we suggest you begin with the first section and then move on to learn more about the wide variety of available resources for classroom teaching and professional preparation.
Essentials for New ESL/EFL Teachers
- Preparing for an ESL/EFL-Teaching Ministry (PDF)
- Frequently Used Acronyms
- Getting Started in Teaching ESL/EFL
- Three Important---and Often Neglected---Keys to an Effective ESL Ministry (PDF)
- Can You Have an Effective ESL Ministry Without Using Christian Materials? (PDF)
- Getting Started in Teaching ESL/EFL: Resources for Christian Educators (CD-ROM)
- Courses and degree programs
- Professional preparation books
- ICCT CD-ROMs
- Professional organizations and conferences
Publishers and distributors
We have listed a number of major publishers below. However, if you are based in the United States, consider making your purchase from Delta Systems. They carry a wide selection of books from a variety of publishers, often at prices below those of the publisher. Delta also provides especially speedy shipping.
- Addison Wesley Longman (now part of Pearson Education)
- Alta Books
- Cambridge University Press
- Center for Applied Linguistics
- Delta Publishing Company
- Heinemann ELT
- Intercultural Press
- Longman (now part of Pearson Education)
- New Readers Press
- Oxford University Press
- Pearson Education
- Prentice Hall Regents (now part of Pearson Education)
- Pro Lingua
Classroom Teaching Resources
Finding materials on the Internet
You can find a great many teaching materials on the Internet. Many of the sites that offer teaching materials and lesson plans also include methodology articles, bibliographies, publishers, discussion forums, job opportunities, etc.
If you are new teacher, it may be difficult for you to identify the higher quality materials from among all that you locate. To make your search a bit simpler, here are two Web sites that tend to have some of the better teaching materials.
Amity Foundation Teaching Resources
The Internet TESL Journal
An ESL/EFL Web journal that includes teaching materials, lesson plans, teaching techniques, and links to other Web sites. Visit
The following sites offer a wide variety of resources. By accessing these, you can reach thousands of other sites that are relevant for ESL/EFL teachers and learners. However, keep in mind that much of this material has not been screened for quality.
Dave’s ESL Café
One of the richest sources of TESOL information on the Internet. Links to teaching materials, articles, information about jobs, discussion forums, publishers, etc. (The information you find through the many hundreds of links on this site varies considerably in quality.) Visit
A collection of sites with each one linked to the next, so that no matter where you start, you will eventually make your way around all the sites and end up back at the beginning. Teaching materials, lesson plans, methodology articles, etc. View