Teaching grammar is extremely challenging given the complexity of the English system. Teachers must first understand grammar before they can explain it to learners. In this 30-hour training course, participants will increase their own knowledge of the English grammar system and also gain the skills necessary to introduce grammatical concepts in clear, uncomplicated ways.
What are the course objectives?
- Gain a foundational understanding of the English grammar system in areas such as:
- parts of speech
- question formation
- verb-related concepts, i.e., verb tenses, modals, and passive voice
- gerunds vs. infinitives
- count vs. non-count nouns
- comparatives and superlatives
- phrases vs. clauses
- Identify typical problem areas for second language learners
- Learn how to break down grammar concepts into organized and manageable chunks
- Develop key parts of lesson plans for teaching various grammar concepts
- Locate and evaluate grammar teaching resources
Do I need to have taken Reach Out with English in order to register for this course?
No, you can take this course even if you haven’t taken ROWE, since this course focuses specifically on teaching grammar.
Will I receive a certificate?
Participants are awarded a certificate upon course completion.
Are there any online options?
Yes, there are!—We understand that sometimes it’s not possible to participate in person. You might live overseas or your life responsibilities or family situation may make it difficult to be gone from home for a week. Perhaps cost of travel and lodging would be prohibitive. So…we’re offering an online option. You would sit in on the class in real time via Skype or similar platform. Virtual participants are responsible to pay an additional one-time fee of $50 ($10/day) to cover technical assistance in order to facilitate your full participation in the course.
When is the next time the course will be offered?
Tentative dates: June 8-12, 2020
30 hours in a one-week intensive, Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
How much is the cost?
See the Grammar registration form for costs (coming soon).
Do you have course information that can be emailed to others?
This one-page course description is suitable for emailing and for posting on a bulletin board.
Grammar Course Description (coming soon).