Teaching grammar is extremely challenging given the complexity of the English system. Teachers must first understand grammar before they can explain it to learners. In this 30-hour training course, participants will increase their own knowledge of the English grammar system and also gain the skills necessary to introduce grammatical concepts in clear, uncomplicated ways.
What are the course objectives?
- Gain a foundational understanding of the English grammar system in areas such as:
- parts of speech
- question formation
- verb-related concepts, i.e., verb tenses, modals, and passive voice
- gerunds vs. infinitives
- count vs. non-count nouns
- comparatives and superlatives
- phrases vs. clauses
- Identify typical problem areas for second language learners
- Learn how to break down grammar concepts into organized and manageable chunks
- Develop key parts of lesson plans for teaching various grammar concepts
- Locate and evaluate grammar teaching resources
Do I need to have taken Reach Out with English in order to register for this course?
No, you can take this course even if you haven’t taken ROWE, since this course focuses specifically on teaching grammar.
Will I receive a certificate?
Participants are awarded a certificate upon course completion.
When is the next time the course will be offered?
June 2020 — 30 hours in a one-week intensive, Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.