Teaching pronunciation is extremely challenging. Without specific training, it is difficult to know how to correct learners for improved fluency and comprehensibility of speech. In this 30-hour non-credit course, participants will gain the skills necessary to diagnose errors and assist learners in improving their listening and production of the various elements of English pronunciation.
What are the course objectives?
- Gain a foundational understanding of the English pronunciation system, including sounds (consonants and vowels), rhythm and stress, natural speech phenomena
- Identify typical learner errors
- Practice completing a mistake analysis
- Understand the basics of drill writing
- Practice and gain skill writing and conducting drills
- Develop a tutoring / teaching plan for 3-4 sessions
- Practice adapting materials for use with pronunciation teaching
- Locate & evaluate pronunciation teaching resources
Do I need to have taken Reach Out with English in order to register for this course?
No, you can take this course even if you haven’t taken ROWE, since this course focuses specifically on teaching pronunciation.
Will I receive a certificate?
Participants are awarded a certificate upon course completion.
When is the course offered?
June 10-14, 2019
30 contact hours in one-week intensive, Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Are there any online options?
Yes, there are!—We understand that sometimes it’s not possible to participate in person. You might live overseas or your life responsibilities or family situation may make it difficult to be gone from home for a week. Perhaps cost of travel and lodging would be prohibitive. So…we’re offering an online option. You would sit in on the class in real time via Skype or similar platform. Virtual participants are responsible to pay an additional one-time fee of $50 ($10/day) to cover technical assistance in order to facilitate your full participation in the course.
How much is the cost?
See the Pronunciation Registration Form for costs.
For more information
See the Pronunciation Course Description.