In May 1956 the Wayside “Inn,” a women's residence on Irving St., was razed for the construction of a 25-bed infirmary, which began that October and was completed just over a year later. On December 30, 1957, the Health Center opened for service. In honor of Dr. Clarence Wyngarden, who served as the college physician and surgeon from 1940 to 1976, the Health Center was renamed “Wyngarden” upon his retirement. A member of the class of 1932, Dr. Wyngarden’s interest in sports and his position as team doctor made him a common sight on the sidelines of many campus games. Since 1983, the department of Modern and Classical Languages has occupied the 2nd and 3rd floors, with additional departmental offices in the neighboring Schell building. The Language Resource Center (LRC) is on the 3rd floor of Wyngarden.