Wheaton College Color Logo

Armerding Center for Music and the Arts

Armerding Center for Music and the Arts

Armerding Hall Late Afternoon Grass No People

Located at the heart of Wheaton’s campus, the new Armerding Center for Music and the Arts invites musical participation and artistic engagement of all students, staff, and faculty; allow the College to host a greater number of campus guests; and allow the College to achieve higher levels of artistic excellence. God is always calling for a song of praise from his people, and it is therefore vital that music flourishes at the center of Wheaton’s life and community.

In the past, Wheaton College Conservatory of Music facilities had been in critical need of improvement despite its historical record of outstanding, professional-level accomplishments.

The first half of the Armerding Center is now complete. In November 2017 the Conservatory of Music moved into their new home and the building was dedicated as the center of music-making for the entire campus.

Our students and faculty now enjoy proper climate control and sound isolation, along with additional storage throughout the building. The new practice rooms are adequately sized to protect musician’s hearing and to offer optimal acoustics.  No longer is the Conservatory of Music operating out of six different buildings, built from 1924 to 2008, that were spread out across campus. The Conservatory of Music now has a new state-of-the-art home with a 108-seat recital hall specifically designed for music performance.

The new home of the Conservatory of Music has been named in honor of the fifth president of Wheaton College, Hudson T. Armerding ’41, upon his retirement. This structure once housed the science and mathematics departments. But music was the heart of the Armerding family. While Miriam Bailey Armerding ’42 graduated from the Conservatory of Music, Hudson also sang in Men’s Glee Club as an undergrad, so it is fitting that the future home the Conservatory of Music will continue to carry the name.

Where is the Armerding Center?