The Marion E. Wade Center is a research facility which has a museum and reading room dedicated to the work of seven British authors: Owen Barfield, G. K. Chesterton, C. S. Lewis, George MacDonald, Dorothy L. Sayers, J. R. R. Tolkien, and Charles Williams. Individuals, families, and small groups desiring to view the Wade Center museum on an informal basis are welcome to visit without an advance appointment. (However, in such instances, the availability of staff to give tours of the Center cannot be guaranteed.) There is no fee to visit the Wade Center.
If you are interested in scheduling in advance for a group of 10 or more, the Wade Center does offer various programs. For example:
- A 45 minute slide presentation on the life of C. S. Lewis, particularly suited for older elementary school groups. Can be adapted for others.
- A presentation on the life and works of J.R.R. Tolkien, appropriate for middle school to adult.
- Various biographical documentaries on the life and work of C. S. Lewis, as well as audio lectures on author-related topics, are available for high school to adult groups to watch.
- A fact-finding hunt in the Wade Center museum, suitable for late elementary through middle school ages.
- By request we will prepare programs and lectures on other author-related topics for groups, depending on staff availability.
Additional Reminders for School Groups
- Teachers should be aware that the Wade Center has a small sales area that contains such items as postcards, bookmarks, and note cards, ranging in price from $.80-$1.35, as well as books, posters, and other more expensive merchandise. Past experience has shown that students are disappointed when they see the postcards, but do not have money to purchase them. If school policy permits bringing money on field trips, you may wish to inform the children in advance. Please note that the Wade Center is not asking you to encourage the children to purchase postcards, nor do we mention the materials for sale in our presentation.
- Groups, whose schedule permits, may also wish to visit the Perry Mastodon Exhibit. This display can be viewed in the Science Center atrium (and thus requires no reservations).
Information about Directions and Parking is available.
To make reservations please call the Marion E. Wade Center at (630) 752-5908, or fax us at (630) 752-5459. You may also e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.