The The Marion E. Wade Center is pleased to offer photographic images from its archival collections for publication purposes, in order to benefit scholars and the general public alike. The goals of this policy are to make these images accessible to the public while still preserving them in our holdings for future use. “Publication” includes: print, electronic/digital, film, and websites.
It is NOT necessary to request approval for the following non-commercial uses (provided you ensure that the Wade Center Collection is appropriately credited as the source of the image): PowerPoint presentations, teacher’s handouts for classroom use, school projects.
The Wade Center does not sell prints for personal use. However, we do sell postcards related to the seven authors at a reasonable rate. Please contact the Wade Center for further information (email@example.com).
Procedure for Processing Orders
Before a photo will be lent, a contractual agreement must be signed by both the borrowing agency and an agent of the Marion E. Wade Center, and fees must be paid in full. When the Wade Center has further information about the rights associated with an image, it will convey that information to requesters. However, in all cases, it is the requester’s obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other use restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the Wade Center’s collections.
If you would like to see a sample of images, the Wade Center can fax or mail photocopies, or email low resolution scans of available images. We can offer recommendations if you have an idea in mind. Please note, though, that this may take additional time, and we may not have anything available that meets your specifications. It is always best to be as specific as possible when making your request. If you have seen it in a publication, please provide the citation in which the photo appears. Failure to fill out the request form in its entirety may delay processing of your order.
When we receive your request form (mail, email, or fax), we will do our best to respond within one business week. If we are able to fill your request and we verify your final selection(s), we will draft the agreement and invoice and send it to you for review. Once the signed agreement and payment are received, the Wade Center will supply the image. However, processing time is subject to availability of staff and resources.
Please note: the request form and contractual agreement are two separate documents.
The following fees are for one-time, non-exclusive rights to use the image for the specified purpose. Additional editions, reproductions, or any kind of additional usage of the image by the undersigned or a third party requires additional written permission. The Wade Center does not surrender its right to reproduce the images or to grant permission to other users. The fees also assume fulfillment of the rest of the contract (see stipulations below). The Wade Center reserves the right to adjust prices without notice. Unless otherwise noted, these costs cover permission for one edition (including reprints and e-book format that is released simultaneously with the print edition).
- Web usage: $25.00 per photo per 6 months (additional restrictions apply; contact the Wade Center)
- Newspaper: $65.00 per photo per usage
- Brochure: $75.00 per photo per usage
- Magazine or book catalogue, interior use: $100.00 per photo per usage, cover use: $150.00 per photo per usage
- Book interior use: $125.00 per photo per usage, cover use: $175.00 per photo per usage
- Broadcast or video distribution use: $200 per image
- Exhibition or display: Contact the Wade Center
Not-for-profit groups: While we do wish to be supportive of not-for-profit organizations and ministries, we are generally not able to make exceptions. We ourselves are a not-for-profit institution, and thus it is imperative that we recover the cost and time we invest into photo loans. Any exceptions must be agreed to in advance and documented in writing from the Wade Center to be valid. The Wade Center makes decisions for these arrangements on a case by case basis and reserves the right to refuse an exception. Consideration of these exceptions may delay processing of your order.
- All photographic prints continue to be the exclusive property of The Marion E. Wade Center. If a print(s) is provided, return of the print(s) in good condition after use is required. Additional fees will be assessed for photos that are not returned or that are returned in an unusable condition. Unless other arrangements are made, the photo is to be returned to the Wade Center no later than the projected publication date noted within the photo loan application. No digital images or other reproductions of any kind may be retained in files or databases of the undersigned but must be deleted at the completion of the project.
- The credit in the publication should read: Used by permission of The Marion E. Wade Center, Wheaton College, Wheaton, IL.
- Two copies of the work are to be deposited in The Marion E. Wade Center upon publication.
- No images loaned may be used for publicity purposes (i.e. brochures, advertisements,) without express written permission from the Wade Center. A further fee may be assessed. Images loaned may not be posted on the internet without express written permission and appropriate fees.
- It is the responsibility of the requestor to ensure the Wade Center receives the fee in its entirety. The Wade Center will not accept responsibility for any fees or taxes, such as those potentially associated with international transactions.
Photo loan request form (pdf)
For more information on photo loans, please direct email to the attention of Laura Schmidt at: firstname.lastname@example.org