Before You Travel


Pretravel health consultation is important to understand the desease patterns of the country(ies) you will be visiting and also your individual health needs. Wheaton College desires you and your group to travel without illness and also to respect the health of the country you will be visiting.

Travel Meetings

Before you travel, the faculty member, director or trip liaison will need approval from the Provost office. Once this is complete, the trip liaison will contact the Student Health Services to schedule a group meeting with all students, faculty or staff going on the trip. After the group has had their travel introduction, students may call the SHS (630-752-5072) to schedule their 20 minute individual travel consultation. Please call as soon as possible as these appointments fill up quickly. If you have been approved for deferred study or internship abroad, a travel consult is also required and may be a 40 minute consult. 

If you are a student traveling with a Wheaton College sponsored trip, the group meeting and individual travel consultation is a requirement before leaving. The cost for this individual consultation and is billed to your student account. You will receive a walkout in your CPO box that you may submit to your insurance company for possible reimbursement.

If you are part of the HNGR program, your individual appointment may be 40 to 60 minutes in length, depending on the remoteness of your internship.

International SOS

There may be times when you are traveling internationally that you need some extra help or advice.  Wheaton College is a member of a travel assistance program that provides answers to those questions. International SOS ( is a program that gives up to date pre travel advice and also guidance for such situations as: I’ve lost my passport and need assistance, I am very sick and need to find a doctor, I don’t speak the language and need help.

For every student that is traveling with a Wheaton College program, they will be given a iSOS membership card during their individual travel consult at Student Health Services/International Travel Clinic. This card contains the Wheaton College membership number and also the contact information for one of their 4 contact sites.  Students can call night or day to obtain advice.  There is no extra charge for these calls.

Please note that this is not health insurance.  This program is only travel advice.  If a medical product, service or evacuation is needed, iSOS can complete these needed services; however, the student will obtain the full bill for this service.  Wheaton College does not assist with the bill.  Students are instructed to review their health insurance to be sure that they are covered for medical expenses while in the country and also evacuation. 

You can download the International SOS Assistance App at this weblink: 

For Faculty and Staff

If you are a faculty or staff of Wheaton College, you are able to utilize Student Health Services travel clinic. You will need to provide immunization records and a copy of a recent physical prior to the travel consultation. Please complete this International Travel Questionnaire (PDF) and bring it with you to your travel consultation. You will be required to pay at time of service for consultation or any vaccines received. Student needs are prioritized during the school year, but SHS travel clinic will do their best accommodate faculty and staff schedules.

You may also need to complete the Emergency Health Form (PDF) for Wheaton College Employees.


Prior to your individual travel consult at Student Health Services (SHS), the travel nurse will review your immunization record that is in your medical chart at SHS. These immunizations will be compared with current country vaccination policies and disease processes occurring in the country. If you know you have received other vaccinations that are not recorded at SHS, please bring that with you at the time of your individual consult.

Some vaccinations will be required of students or strongly recommended when compared with the destination(s) the individual or team is going to. Some of the required/recommended immunizations may need to be administered over a period of weeks/months and also take 10-14 days for the body to build up protection; so it is important to start early. Some countries require travelers to provide proof of vaccinations. Therefore, it is best to carry your vaccination record with your passport and visa.

Health Insurance

Please review your health insurance before you travel to make sure it will cover you overseas. Investigate what your personal health insurance will cover if you should need assistance while traveling or need to be evacuated or repatriated.

If you are currently enrolled with the Wheaton College Student Health Insurance, it will cover some of your expenses and services overseas. For more about the Student Health Insurance Plan, explore the Gallagher Student website If you are graduating in May and will be traveling overseas but will not return before August 1st, you will need to find insurance to cover you after July 31st at midnight. You can view Health Insurance Resources for possible options for coverage. Student Health Insurance expires July 31st at 12:00AM.

Many medical services overseas do not recognize USA health insurance. They will ask for cash for their services. Be prepared to pay. Remember to a keep a receipt for health care given. These receipts need to be sent to your insurance carrier upon return to the States.

Talk with your current health insurance company to see if they offer a "rider." This can be purchased for a limited amount of time. Services vary.

There are other short-term health insurance options available for you that you can view at this link.

Internet Resources

Center for Disease Control (CDC):

World Health Organizations (WHO):

Travelers with diabetes:

Media Center