To set forth expectations for student's rights and student's responsibilities.
Patient Privacy and Confidentiality (PDF)
The patient has a right…
- To be treated with respect and dignity and to be provided with courteous, considerate care;
- To be informed about the diagnosis, treatment and prognosis of the health problem in terms that can be understood;
- To know the chances that treatment will be effective and to know the possible risks, side effects and alternative methods of treatment;
- To receive confidential treatment of their disclosures and medical records and, except when required by law, is afforded the opportunity to approve or refuse release; to know who is responsible for providing treatment;
- To have access to a second medical opinion before making any decision. The patient can decide not to be treated, but must be informed of the medical consequences of refusal;
- To participate in decisions involving the health problem;
- To be informed of the personal responsibilities, involved in seeking medical treatment and maintaining health and well-being thereafter;
- To privacy; privacy of person and privacy of personal health information
- To have access to resource persons and information concerning health education, self-care and prevention of illness.
The patient has the responsibility…
- To inform clinician of any changes in their health status that could affect their treatment;
- To adhere to a prescribed treatment plan and to discuss any desired change;
- To act in a considerate and cooperative manner with the Student Health Services staff;
- To ask questions and seek clarification regarding areas of concern;
- To weigh the consequences of refusing to comply with instructions and recommendations;
- To assist the clinicians in compiling a complete record by authorizing the Student Health Services to obtain necessary medical information from appropriate sources;
- To keep appointment on time;
- To cancel appointments only when absolutely necessary, and far enough in advance so that other patients might utilize that time.