College is a rare opportunity in a person's life. There will likely be no other time in their life that they can dedicate four solid years to education and learning. Health insurance is one of the guarantees that can allow students this continuity and assurance that they can complete college. All too often, situations arise in which a student requires medical or mental health needs beyond what Wheaton College Student Health Services can provide. Wheaton College has set up guidelines of comparable coverage to assist families in knowing if their student will be covered for any medical services.
Wheaton College has been a leader and a servant in this community for over 150 years. Relationships are essential in community. SHS is privileged to work with many dedicated medical professionals in the community to give excellent and complete service to students. Assuring that Wheaton College students have adequate coverage continues to enhance SHS relationships with the medical providers that we refer students to.
Wheaton College practices a "hard waiver" insurance program. This simply means that every student required to show proof of health insurance will be billed a six(6)-month premium for Student Health Insurance to their student account. Each student must prove that they have comparable coverage by completing and submitting an on-line waiver before the deadline before this premium will be removed from their account.
All students required to prove health insurance must do so annually. They will need to complete an on-line waiver at the beginning of each academic year. If you would like to enroll in the Gallagher Koster Student Health Insurance Plan, please continue to their website for instructions under "Student Waive/Enroll." The 2012-2013 Gallagher Koster benefit highlight flyer provides a brief overview of coverage. You may read more details of the plan in Student Health Insurance Benefit booklet. If you are an intercollegiate athlete, please call the Athletic Office at (630)752-5738 for more information. Any late arrangements to petition to waive made with Gallagher Koster will be subject to a late administrative fee.
Students Insured with Other Health Insurance Plans and Wanting to Waive SHI-
Students insured by another health insurance plan that meets the Wheaton College requirements must complete and submit an online waiver if they do not want to be enrolled on the Wheaton College Student Health Plan. Instructions for submitting the waiver are available at www.gallagherkoster.com/wheatonIL. For new and continuing students , the deadline for waiver submission is January 31, 2013. Subtracting the fee from your total bill cannot be a substitute for completing the waiver. Failure to complete the waiver by the deadline will result in the mandatory purchase of the College's health plan without the possibility of later waiver, refund, or cancellation.
Although many families may have some form of health insurance, it is important to ensure that students are adequately covered. Please check with your insurance company before making a determination to waive coverage. You will be asked similar questions on the on-line waiver.
Other health insurance plans must have benefits comparable to the Wheaton College Student Health Plan. Comparable insurance plans are required to include:
- Adequate primary medical care coverage within a 4 hour driving radius of the College for emergency and non-emergency illness and injury including follow-up care to emergency room treatment.
- A primary care physician on record must be within a 4 hour driving radius of whichever campus the student is studying at full time. Out of state HMO's and similar plans are not considered adequate coverage due to the fact that the benefits are very restrictive outside the home area.
- A licensed and approved health insurance policy. Reimbursement/cost sharing plans will not be accepted as comparable coverage.
- A United States customer service telephone number for benefit verification. International customer service telephone numbers will not be accepted.
- Health insurance coverage for the whole academic year, beginning August 1st - July 31st.
- Coverage for both in and out patient psychiatric services that pays at least 60% of costs with a maximum per condition limit of no less than $50 000.
- The plan must have a deductible of less than or equal to $10,000.
- The plan must have a benefit maximum of at least $250,000 per condition.
Is strongly suggested that comparable coverage includes:
- Coverage anywhere in the world, including medical evacuation or repatriation benefits.
- A nationwide network of providers for primary and specialty care.
THESE REQUIREMENTS MAY CHANGE AT ANYTIME WITHOUT PRIOR NOTICE.
Students should carry their medical identification card with them at all times.
Wheaton College requires the following students to have health insurance benefits comparable to the Wheaton College Student Health Plan:
- Degree-seeking students regardless of the number of credit hours for which they are registered.
- Students on Deferred Enrollment (Consortium, HNGR, Internship).
- Psy-D students registered for classes on campus. Off-campus students are not required to meet the health insurance requirements but have the option of enrolling in the plan.
- Honey Rock students registered for credit hours.
- Special (non-degree seeking) students registered for 9 or more credit hours.
- Eastern Tutorial summer students.
- JUC- New students beginning the Biblical archeology program in the summer in Jerusalem.
- Modular students taking traditional semester classes
Short-term Health Insurance
The following must comply with the insurance requirements. Please contact Graduate Student Services (630-752-5191) for details. Short-term health insurance requirements are handled through the Graduate Student Services office. Domestic students who cannot prove coverage will be automatically billed a premium quoted by the short term insurance program. International students are required to take short-term travel insurance coordinated through Graduate Student Services.
- Institute for Prison Ministries students
- Modular students
All students regardless of status will be notified of this requirement via their my.wheaton e-mail account. No personal e-mail will be used after students have been accepted.
International students (including Canadian students) and their dependents who carry a F1 or F2 visa and are residing with the student in the United States are required to enroll in the Wheaton College Student Health Insurance Plan. Foreign plans and travel policies are not accepted as they are not considered comparable to the Wheaton College student plan and do not meet the Wheaton College health insurance requirements. Students are automatically enrolled in the Wheaton College student health plan, and the six month premium will be charged to their student account each semester. Please send an email to Health.Insurance@wheaton.edu if a spouse and/or children will be residing with the student in the United States.
International Students who are 0 credit hours due to master thesis/doctoral dissertation continuation; who are residing in the US; and who are completing this work on or off campus are required to take the Student Health Insurance Plan.
Students for whom Student Health Insurance is optional:
- Master's thesis continuation and doctoral dissertation showing zero credits and having paid in full to continue to be active students.
- PsyD interns taking internship