From the President
Over 1,000 Wheaton alumni and family members will be on campus this weekend to celebrate class reunions from 1990 to 2015. In addition to welcoming back all these “Wheaties,” we will also welcome Dr. Billy Kim from Seoul, Korea, and the 40-member Children’s Choir of the Far East Broadcasting Company as they perform with our student music groups on Saturday evening at the Homecoming Concert.
The rich tapestry of Homecoming will be enhanced by honoring Dr. Bruce Howard ’74 for 35 years of distinguished service in teaching and mentoring Wheaton students. When his father, Economics Professor Arne Howard, had open heart surgery in 1978, Bruce was asked to teach his class. This led to a transition to teaching from banking for Bruce, and his ongoing rich contribution to the lives of generations of Wheaton students is profound.
In addition to his teaching and leadership roles at the College and in the community, Bruce and his wife Ruthie have provided pre-marital counseling to Wheaton couples, including my wife, Lisa Maxwell Ryken ‘88, and me. Bruce exemplifies the Kingdom values we hope to develop in all our alumni, and we are grateful for the commitment that Dr. Howard and all our faculty members make to your student.
In Christ's Service,
Philip G. Ryken
We're looking forward to seeing many of you at Family Weekend, October 30-31! Visit our Family Weekend webpages for a preview of weekend events, links to area activities and hotels, and to register your family's attendance.
Fall Break and Holiday Airport Shuttles
The Student Activities office and GO Airport Express have partnered once again to provide reduced-rate group airport shuttle services for the Wheaton College Community during breaks this academic year. This service is offered to both Midway and O’Hare Airports. Shuttle schedules, links to the reservation portal, and more information can be found on the shuttle information page of the Student Activities website.
One-way shuttle costs for both Midway and O’Hare airports: $30
Round-trip shuttle discount: $55
Fall Break shuttle reservations are open until Sunday, Oct. 11, 11:59pm
Shuttle reservations for holiday breaks will open Monday, October 26.
Thanksgiving Break shuttle reservation deadline: Sunday, Nov. 15, 11:59pm
Christmas Break shuttle reservation deadline: Sunday, Dec. 6, 11:59pm
Spring semester tuition plans will be open for on-line enrollment beginning October 30, 2015.
- Enrollment deadline for the Spring 5 Payment Plan is Monday, Dec. 7, 2015.
- Enrollment deadline for the Deferred 3 Payment Plan is Friday, Jan. 8, 2016.
Please visit Wheaton Installment Plan for payment schedules and full plan details.
News from HoneyRock
Two upcoming information sessions will give you and your student a chance to learn about valuable educational opportunities at HoneyRock, Wheaton's Outdoor Center for Leadership Development.
Learn and Earn this Summer
Through HoneyRock’s Summer 2016 General Education Program, students can earn four general education credit hours with coursework taught at HoneyRock. Through HoneyRock’s Summer Leadership School, students can develop core leadership competencies through training and ministry as a summer camp counselor. Participants in the Leadership Schools are paid and scholarships are available.
Saturday, October 31, 10:30-11:30am, Wheaton College, Schell Hall, HoneyRock office
Benefits of Taking A Gap Year
Did you know that students who take a gap year before entering college are more motivated, carry higher GPAs and assume more leadership positions once on a college campus? Come hear more about the value of a gap year and receive information about Wheaton College's own Vanguard Gap Year Program at HoneyRock, which provides its participants preferential acceptance to Wheaton College. To learn more and to register to attend, visit wheaton.edu/vanguard.
Thursday, November 12, 7:00-8:30pm, Wheaton College, Blanchard Hall, Room 339
News from the Conservatory
The Conservatory at Wheaton College believes that student music ensembles are the beating heart of Conservatory life. With nine student ensembles ranging from Opera Music Theater to Jazz, Percussion, and Concert Choir, the Conservatory is a place where music and non-music majors alike form lasting friendships while gaining rich experience with the musical arts.
Check out some highlights from this semester’s ensemble performance schedule:
- October 10, 7:30 pm – Homecoming Concert featuring Men’s Glee Club, Women’s Chorale, and special guest, FEBC-Korea Children's Choir
- October 13 and 15, 10:30 am – Symphonic Band Children’s Concert. A popular field trip for area elementary schools, over 2500 children will attend each of these concerts.
- October 31, 7:30 pm – Family Weekend concert featuring the Wheaton College Concert Choir, Men's Glee Club, Women's Chorale, and Jazz Ensemble. If you’re going to be here for Family Weekend, don’t miss this performance!
- November 6, 7:30 pm—Thundertones, the Men’s Glee Club a cappella group, brings this special show to Pierce Chapel.
- November 19, 7:30 pm – Jazz ensemble, directed by Katie Ernst
- November 21, 7:30 pm -- The Wheaton College Symphony Orchestra presents a fall concert featuring the area winners of the Conservatory concerto competitions
- December 4-5, 7:30 pm – The Wheaton College Christmas Festival concert, featuring the Wheaton College Choirs and Symphony Orchestra
Learn more about the Conservatory at Wheaton College and its student ensembles. Browse the music events calendar. And watch past performances on the Conservatory YouTube Channel.
How can you pray for Wheaton this month?
- Pray for our Athletics teams and for students in the Performing Arts. During this busy season, pray that these students will remain healthy, that they will find fun and encouragement with peers, and that the exercise of their gifts will bring great joy to them and to the Lord.
- Pray for our students as they travel, play, and rest during Fall Break (Oct. 19-20). Pray for their safety and rejuvenation, and for the service opportunities that many students will engage.
- Pray for preparations underway for Family Weekend on October 30-31. Pray for safe travel and encouraging connections for all parents, students, and family members.
Wishing you a good October.
The Wheaton College Parent Engagement team