From the President
The summer break is a good time to regain strength and peace after meeting the rigorous demands of the academic year, and such a time of rest and renewal is an important facet in developing resiliency.
My family and I enjoy spending part of our summers at HoneyRock where we can rest and play together in the great outdoors. Every day we see majestic bald eagles leave their perches high in the trees to soar over the lakes and forests. They remind me of Isaiah’s well-known testimony of resiliency by faith, which is an encouragement to us all:
They who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength;
they shall mount up with wings like eagles;
they shall run and not be weary;
they shall walk and not faint. Isa. 40:31, ESV
In Christ’s service,
Philip G. Ryken
Resources for Wheaton Parents
Have you joined the Wheaton parent Facebook group? This social network group is a great place to connect with fellow parents, to ask questions of the Wheaton parent community, and to reach out for advice on anything related to your student's Wheaton experience. To join, log on to Facebook and type Wheaton College (IL) Parents in the search bar. From there, request to join.
Did you also know there's a group of parents who serve Wheaton by serving fellow Wheaton parents? The Parent Council is a group of parents who help with the hospitality of parent events during Orientation and Family Weekend and serve as a resource to the College on issues unique to current parents. Most importantly, the Parent Council is on hand to serve as a resource to you. Visit the Parent Council page on our website to meet this year's members.
Finally, we encourage you to spend some time browsing the Parent Engagement website. Here you'll find links to important offices across campus, dates for upcoming events, answers to frequently asked questions, and opportunities to get involved. If you ever have additional questions, please drop us a line at email@example.com.
New parents: Please remember to file your parent or guardian contact information at alumni.wheaton.edu/newparent.
Campus housing opens to new students only on Friday, August 19, between 9am-4pm.
Continuing students are invited to return to campus on Sunday, August 21 at 2pm-Tuesday, August 23.
Consideration for early arrival housing is available for students who are sponsored by a faculty or staff member due to responsibilities on campus prior to August 21. Examples include fall athletes, student teachers, on-campus employees, and members of student leadership teams. All other early arrival requests will be subject to denial or a nightly charge. Approval will be considered, with a nightly charge, for students meeting these criteria:
- Students arriving early to begin a for-credit internship
- International travel
- Travel hardship
- Siblings of new students or student leaders (charge waived)
Students must submit requests through the online application found at the Residence Life website; questions may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
New Student Registration
All incoming freshmen should have received registration packets in the mail with registration and course information. Registration will close on Friday, July 29, after which no further changes will be permitted until students have met with their advisors during New Student Orientation.
Transfer student registration began on Wednesday, June 15 and will remain open through the first two weeks of classes. Transfers will meet with their academic advisors during New Student Orientation.
Questions? Freshmen can contact Freshman Advising at email@example.com. Transfers can contact Associate Registrar and Transfer Analyst, Jan Miller, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Important Technological Information
Information on our new degree evaluation program will be sent out at the beginning of August. Degree Works will give a checkbox overview of what requirements have been met/are yet to be met in a student's degree, general education, and major, as well as providing an advance planning feature for future semesters.
Students may set-up parent access for academic, financial aid, and/or student account information through the Banner Web Proxy Access system. Click here for details. Students will receive Proxy set-up information in early August.
Wheaton College operates under The Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974, a federal law enacted to establish procedures for disclosing information contained in student records and to protect the privacy of these records. The Act outlines students' rights with respect to their educational records and applies to currently enrolled students and former students. Under FERPA, once a student enters college, the rights transfer from the parents to the student. Hence, students must authorize the College to release their records to their parents or other interested parties. Details of FERPA are outlined in the Wheaton College FERPA Policy Statement and the FERPA Notification of Rights document.
Fall 2016 Textbooks are now available!
Students can make their purchase and compare prices with competitors at the Wheaton Bookstore. Our online ordering service offers several advantages:
- Textbook rental offerings directly from the Bookstore
- Hundreds of money-saving used textbooks
- A link that allows students to compare Wheaton Bookstore prices with the prices of other popular online stores
- The ability for students to use any Financial Aid credit balance they might have to pay for part or all of their order
- A packaged textbook order ready for pick-up when your student arrives on campus
Why pack it when you can buy it here? The Wheaton Bookstore also offers:
- Competitive pricing on computer software and accessories, printer paper, "residence hall approved" materials for hanging posters and other wall items in the residence halls
- Health and beauty essentials
- Food and snacks
- Wheaton gear favorites such as CamelBaks, lanyards, hoodies, and team sport tee shirts
The Bookstore is owned by Wheaton College, with all proceeds going to support Wheaton's operations, facilities, and programs. We look forward to seeing you in our store!
Secure online billing and payment gateway is now available
24 hour self-service features:
- Check your balance, view account activity, and view and print your bills and statements.
- Make an online payment by electronic check (free) or credit/debit card (2.75% service charge).
- Students can designate Authorized Users to view bills, account activity, and make payments.
- Students and authorized users can enroll in and manage payment plans.
- Set up bank account information to receive refunds by direct deposit.
Students were sent an email on July 20, 2016 with login instructions through the new Wheaton Portal. Parents will receive login instructions after their student designates them as an Authorized User.
Fall Semester bills are now available online. The due date is Wednesday, August 24, 2016
The Student Accounts office will not be able to take payment by phone but will continue to accept payment by cash or check. If you will be paying with 529/College Savings funds, please direct your plan administrator to remit payment so that it reaches us by the due date of August 24. All checks and correspondence should include the student name and student ID number.
Payments should be mailed to:
501 College Avenue
Wheaton, IL 60187
Fall 2016 semester payment plan options
Wheaton College offers convenient, interest-free payment plans to help with college expense budgeting. A non-refundable fee of $25.00 is due at enrollment. Individuals must re-enroll each semester.
The 10 Payment Annual Plan has been replaced by two 5 payment semester plans to better align with Wheaton's semester billing schedule.
Enrollment deadlines are one day prior to the first scheduled payment date.
- 5 Payment Plan: payments due on the 10th of each month, August through December.
- 4 Payment Plan: payments due August 24th, October 10th, November 10th, December 10th.
- 3 Payment Plan: payments due August 24th, October 10th, November 10th.
Please visit the Student Accounts page for more information.
Student Health Services
We are excited to announce that Student Health Services (SHS) has moved to North Harrison Hall, Suite 130.
SHS continues to provide primary care for all active students with board certified physicians and nurse practitioners. Students can walk in to see a registered nurse during our open hours regardless of their health insurance status. SHS has a laboratory, small pharmacy, international travel clinic and more. Fees for physician visits, lab work and vaccines will be charged to the student’s account.
Stay tuned to the SHS website as we announce upcoming events such as Flu Clinics or the annual Destress Fest.
Beginning Monday, August 22, our hours are:
- Monday-Wednesday 7:30am-5:00pm
- Thursday 9:30am-6:00pm
- Friday 8:00am-4:30pm
- Saturday 10:00am-12:00pm
This year all F1 visa holding students will be required to be insured via the mandatory insurance plan. For students needing further assistance in finding health insurance, there is a Library of Resource page on the Student Health Insurance website. Wheaton College is not licensed to assist individual needs with their health insurance questions. Community references can be provided as needed to students.
The Athletics staff would love to greet you when you bring your student to campus this fall - come visit us in the SRC! For any questions on Athletics insurance or required pre–participation forms, please visit the sports medicine website or email email@example.com. Follow Thunder sports on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Many home events are broadcast in HD on the Wheaton Thunder Sports Network. We look forward to more competitive success in 2016-17, as well as opportunities for students to grow in love and service to Christ through Thunder sports.
How can you pray for Wheaton this month?
- Pray for our new students preparing for life at Wheaton. Pray for the students who will begin Wheaton Passage between August 3-10. Pray for our international students, that they will quickly meet new friends who connect with their experience. Pray for all of our student leaders including Residence Life Staff, Student Orientation Committee, Student Athletes, and Student Government as they prepare for their role in welcoming new students.
- Pray for our new faculty and staff who are moving, some with their families, to Wheaton. Pray that they will be able to settle smoothly into their new home and position.
- Pray for our families who enter this school year feeling financially challenged or burdened by concerns of health or relationship. We are mindful of the personal story each of our students brings to campus, and lift these needs to Christ.
Wishing you a good end of summer.
The Wheaton College Parent Engagement team