Therefore, the Administration has authorized the following policy for the protection of those individuals and the property of Wheaton College and those it serves.
Who to Contact in Case of an Emergency
- Wheaton College Public Safety is the primary first responder for all emergencies that occur on campus. All employees and students are urged to contact them immediately in any emergency situation at (630) 752-5911. Public Safety officers are responsible for contacting and coordinating the emergency service providers. The primary responders for an emergency at any extension site are the local emergency providers. All employees and students are urged to contact them immediately in any emergency situation by dialing 911.
- An emergency notification system is provided for all students, faculty, and staff on the campus and extension site locations. This system will be used to contact any employee or student who registers for the service, and this service will be tested a minimum of one time each calendar year.
Process for Notifying the Campus Community in Case of an Emergency
- Any staff, student, or faculty member who observes an emergency or potentially dangerous situation, once out of harm’s way, should immediately contact the emergency responder identified above.
- The emergency responder will determine if the threat warrants notification of others. (If the emergency occurs at an extension site, the highest ranking college administrator on site will make the determination along with local emergency responders if others should be notified.)
- If the decision is made to notify others, then the emergency responders will determine the appropriate segment or segments of the campus community to receive the notification, determine the content of the notification, and initiate the notification of the targeted audience. If the emergency is at an extension site, the college administrator at that location will contact Public Safety at (630) 752-5911.
- The emergency responders are responsible for contacting the appropriate Administrators either before or after the notification is sent out based on their best judgment.
- Public Safety (630) 752-5911
- Emergency Responder: 911
- Non Emergency Text System Contacts
Wheaton College Commitment to Notification of those Affected
Once a decision is made that the communication of an emergency is in the best interest of those who would receive that information, Wheaton College will, without delay and taking into the account the safety of the community, determine the content of the notification and initiate the notification system, unless the issue of a notification will, in the professional judgment of those responsible, compromise efforts to assist a victim or to contain, respond to, or otherwise mitigate the emergency.
Wheaton College Commitment to a Reliable Emergency Response and Evacuation Plan
- Wheaton College will test its Emergency Response and Evacuation Plan at least every calendar year.
- Wheaton College will keep a record of each test, including the date and time and whether the test was announced prior to implementation or if it was unannounced.
- Wheaton College will publicize its Emergency Response and Evacuation Plan annually by publishing it on the Wheaton College website, highlighting it at New Student Orientation, and sending an annual email communication to all employees.
Wheaton College Public Safety
501 College Avenue
Wheaton, Illinois 60187