The Christian, Liberal Arts Gap Year Program of Wheaton College
Vanguard is the Christian, liberal arts gap year program taught by Wheaton College faculty at HoneyRock – the Outdoor Center for Leadership Development. Upon successful completion of the Vanguard program and with a positive recommendation from our faculty, participants receive preference in the undergraduate admissions process for the upcoming fall semester at Wheaton College.
WETN's Inside Wheaton with Greg Wheatley, Rob Ribbe
Discover God’s Purpose for YOU
The course you set now determines your personal, spiritual, and vocational trajectory. Bridge your high school and college years with this experiential, life-changing gap year where you’ll discover your potential and your unique, God-ordained gifts. This community-based, character-driven year of hands-on education and leadership development prepares you for the challenges of college and post-college years.
Structured around the rhythm of the historic church calendar, Vanguards intentionally engage in community by honoring biblical principles of worship, work, play, and rest. Your time invested into HoneyRock’s Vanguard Year deepens awareness and understanding of the world, your talents, and your place in it.
Through this highly experiential eleven months in the Northwoods of Wisconsin, you will:
- Engage your mind through practical learning and study led by HoneyRock staff, Wheaton College faculty, and guest facilitators.
- Live in an immersive, Christ-centered community dedicated to Christ and his kingdom.
- Nurture the joy of giving through service projects.
- Participate in recreational activities like white-water paddling, climbing, cross-country skiing, horseback riding, hiking, etc.
- Commit to daily tasks that sustain community life.