TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages)

The M.A. in TESOL and Intercultural Studies offers three different options to become trained in cross-cultural teaching. Whether you are a teacher or training to become a teacher, the flexible formats allow you to keep your job while completing your coursework.


M.A. in TESOL and Intercultural Studies

Are you seeking to teach the English language in higher education and adult education settings?

The Wheaton College Graduate School M.A. in TESOL prepares students for teaching positions in universities, community colleges, community-based adult education programs in the U.S. and in most countries. Our graduates are serving as teachers, department chairs, and program administrators in these professional contexts throughout the world.

Are you currently a teacher? 

Wheaton's M.A. in TESOL offers a Summers-Only/Online format, where teachers can complete 40 hours of course work through summer intensives (classes are one to three weeks long). This format is designed to be flexible with teachers in their current professions.

Endorsements in ESL and Bilingual Education

Are you seeking to teach the English as a second language in the K-12 job market?

Add an ESL or Bilingual Education Endorsement to your teaching credentials. The endorsements must be added to a teaching license for the elementary, middle, or secondary levels for graduates to be ESL and bilingual education teachers in both public and private schools. Teaching licenses can be earned through the undergraduate and M.A. in Teaching programs in the Education Department.

Institute for Cross-Cultural Training

Are you seeking to teach the English language in other various settings?

ICCT courses provide essential training for teachers and tutors who work with English language learners in community-based and church-based programs or who work short-term in English camps overseas.

Media Center