Teaching pronunciation is extremely challenging. Without specific training, it is difficult to know how to correct learners for improved fluency and comprehensibility of speech. In this 30-hour non-credit course, participants will gain the skills necessary to diagnose errors and assist learners in improving their listening and production of the various elements of English pronunciation.
What are the course objectives?
- Gain a foundational understanding of the English pronunciation system, including sounds (consonants and vowels), rhythm and stress, natural speech phenomena
- Identify typical learner errors
- Practice completing a mistake analysis
- Understand the basics of drill writing
- Practice and gain skill writing and conducting drills
- Develop a tutoring / teaching plan for 3-4 sessions
- Practice adapting materials for use with pronunciation teaching
- Locate & evaluate pronunciation teaching resources
Do I need to have taken Reach Out with English in order to register for this course?
No, you can take this course even if you haven’t taken ROWE, since this course focuses specifically on teaching pronunciation.
Will I receive a certificate?
Participants are awarded a certificate upon course completion.
When is the course offered?
June 12 – 16 (30 contact hours in one-week intensive)
Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
How much is the cost?
See the Registration Page for costs.
Do you have course information that can be emailed to others?
This one-page course description is suitable for emailing and for posting on a bulletin board.
June 2017 Essentials of Teaching English Pronunciation