For over 40 years, the Marion E. Wade Center has gathered and publicized the books, manuscripts, and letters of Owen Barfield, G.K. Chesterton, C.S. Lewis, George MacDonald, Dorothy L. Sayers, J.R.R. Tolkien, and Charles Williams. These seven authors, united by their shared esteem for the life of the mind, made significant contributions to literature, history, and Christian thought, and the Wade Center strives to promote their legacy.
The Wade authors continue to speak powerfully into our contemporary context, not only in the English speaking world, but increasingly on a global scale. George MacDonald, G.K. Chesterton, J.R.R. Tolkien, Dorothy L. Sayers, and C.S. Lewis in particular create rational and imaginative spaces in their writings for the communication and understanding of the Gospel that continue to bear remarkable fruit. Each year the Wade Center serves over 12,000 people with its museum, reading room, discussion groups, and speaking events. These visitors come from far and wide to glean what they can from these influential thinkers.
But in the last few years, increasing economic pressures and growing demand for the types of programming the Wade Center offers have put a strain on its finances. Now, the Wade Center is seeking to grow its program offerings to meet these rising demands
Through an increase in the Wade’s endowment we want to responsibly address this growing need by developing five new programs:
- Annual Lectureship—three lectures annually would encourage greater cooperation between the Wade Center and Wheaton College faculty
- Annual Wade Research Fellowships—several fellowships would allow scholars to devote needed time and energy to research of the Wade authors
- Annual Summer Institute—week-long courses on the Wade authors would increase exposure to their writings and thought
- Seven Book Imprint—this imprint would encourage new publications on the Wade authors
- Annual Wade Symposium—a symposium would facilitate the work of promoting the Wade authors
In order to maintain the Wade Center’s current programming and increase its capacity for these new programs, an additional $2 million is needed for the Wade Center Endowment.
Make a gift, or contact your rep for more information.