Just as parents want to be confident that their child’s music teacher has received adequate training, CSA Suzuki teachers want to ensure that parents have the knowledge and resources they need to be effective home coaches for their beginning Suzuki student.
1. CSA Suzuki parents are required to attend a six-hour course to prepare them to facilitate home practice. Three course sessions (A,B,C), are offered every fall. Time options (Thursday evening or Saturday) are available for each session.
• Session A: An initial 3-hour class prior in August prior to the start of fall semester
• Sessions B & C: 1.5 hour classes offered in September
The parent who will attend lessons and practice with the student is required to be present for the course, but both parents are encouraged to attend. All student accounts are billed for Parent Education ($85) when the student begins lessons.
2. Class format includes presentations by CSA faculty members, student performances, practice session demos and Q & A.
3. Session topics:
• Elements of Suzuki philosophy
• Role of the parent in Suzuki instruction
• Tools for Success – practical ideas and motivational tools for home practice
• The Magic of Listening – optimizing your child’s instruction
4. Parent participation in these classes is vital to a student’s early success. Session A must be completed before a student begins lessons (fall semester only). Parents of students who start after September will be able to view the sessions by DVD and then attend the class the following year (DVD may be checked-out through the teacher).