Assistant Professor of Psychology
On Faculty since 2013
Ph.D. in Human Development and Family Science (specialized in Couple and Family Therapy), The Ohio State University, 2013
M.A. in Marriage and Family Counseling, Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, 2009
B.A. in Theology, Chongshin University, 2005
About Hana Yoo
Dr. Yoo is interested in studying family relationships from a systems perspective and applying her research findings to clinical settings to enhance distressed families’ well-being. Utilizing the scientist-practitioner model, she has conducted several research projects regarding couple relationships, parent-child relationships, and the effects of therapeutic alliance on treatment outcomes.
It is somewhat difficult to identify her "hobbies" (unless sleeping and day-dreaming count). However, what she definitely enjoys is attending national/international conferences – presenting her research and hanging out with her friends in academia.
- Families in Context
- Marriage and Family Therapy I: Theoretical Foundations
- Marriage and Family Therapy II: Assessment & Intervention
- Research in Marriage and Family Therapy
- Clinical Practicum
Membership in Professional Societies
- American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy (AAMFT) since 2009
- National Council on Family Relations (NCFR) since 2009
Dr. Yoo’s main research interest is couple relationship processes concerning intimacy. In her dissertation, she explored distressed couples’ emotional and sexual intimacy experiences, as compared with those of satisfied non-treatment-seeking couples. However, her research interest is not merely limited to couple relationships. As an advocate of family systems theories, she believes that a functioning level of one family subsystem (e.g., spousal subsystem between partners) is associated with that of another (e.g., parental subsystem between parents and child), and that any family outcomes (e.g., child outcomes) are the products of the interrelatedness between individuals and subsystems in a family.
Publications and Presentations
- Yoo, H., Bartle-Haring, S., & Gangamma, R. (in press). Predicting premature termination with alliance at session 1 and 3: A brief report. Journal of Family Therapy.
- Yoo, H., Bartle-Haring, S., Day, R., & Gangamma, R. (2014). Couple communication, emotional and sexual intimacy, and relationship satisfaction. Journal of Sex & Marital Therapy. Advance online publication. doi: 10.1080/0092623X.2012.751072.
- Yoo, H., Feng, X., & Day, R. (2013). Adolescents’ empathy and prosocial behavior in the family context: A longitudinal study. Journal of Youth & Adolescence. 42, 1858-1872.
- Yoo, H. Couple Intimacy and Relationship Satisfaction: A Comparison Study. Paper presentation at the 75th NCFR annual conference, November, 2013, San Antonio, TX, USA.
- Pratt, K., Yoo, H., Lamson, A., Craven, J., & Cai, Y. The Self-Reported Strengths and Concerns of Diabetic Youths and Their Caregivers: A Qualitative Study. Paper presentation at the 75th NCFR annual conference, November, 2013, San Antonio, TX, USA.
- Yoo, H. & Feng, X. Children’s Social Competence as the Outcome of Interdependence among Family Subsystems. Paper presentation at the 2013 SRCD biennial meeting, April, 2013, Seattle, WA, USA.
- Yoo, H. & Snyder, A. Couple Intimacy and Relationship Satisfaction in Long‐term Marriages: A Longitudinal Study. Paper presentation at the 74th NCFR annual conference, November, 2012, Phoenix, AZ, USA.
- Yoo, H. & Bartle-Haring, S. Couples’ emotional and sexual intimacy in long-term marriages. Poster presentation accepted at the AAMFT Annual Conference, October, 2013, Portland, OR, USA.
- Yoo, H. & Bartle-Haring, S. Between‐Partner Agreement on Intimacy and Relationship Satisfaction. Poster presentation at the 74th NCFR annual conference, November, 2012, Phoenix, AZ, USA.
- Gangamma, R., Bartle-Haring, S., Yoo, H., Ponappa, S., Holowacz, E., & Lotspeich-Younkin, F. Locus of Control, Differentiation and Therapeutic Alliance. Poster presentation at the AAMFT Annual Conference, September, 2012, Charlotte, NC, USA.
- Yoo, H., Schoppe-Sullivan, S., Kamp Dush, C., & Kotila, L. Couple relationships, coparenting, and parental involvment. Poster workshop at the 13th World Association for Infant Mental Health, April, 2012, Cape Town, South Africa.
- Yoo, H., Feng, X., & Day, R. Mediating effect of perceived closeness to parents in the relation between parenting and adolescent empathy and prosocial behavior. Poster presentation at the 14th SRA biennial conference, March, 2012, Vancouver, Canada.
- Yoo, H. Differentiation of Self and Emotional Intimacy in Marital Relationships. Poster presentation at the 20th IFTA conference, March, 2012, Vancouver, Canada.
- Yoo, H., Bartle-Haring, S., Gangamma, R., Lotspeich, F., Patton, R., & Day, R. Mediating influences of emotional and physical intimacy on the association between communication and relationship satisfaction. Poster presentation at the 73rd NCFR annual conference, November, 2011, Orlando, FL, USA.
- Patton, R., Younkin, F., Bartle-Haring, S., Katafiasz, H., Yoo, H., & Gangamma, R. High School Sweethearts Beware: Does Early Marriage Predict Marital Instability? Poster presentation at the 73rd NCFR annual conference, November, 2011, Orlando, FL, USA.