Department Chair, Director of M.A. (Intercultural Studies), and Associate Professor of Intercultural Studies
On Faculty since 1998
Office: BGC 214
Ph.D. (Intercultural Studies), Fuller Theological Seminary, Pasadena, CA (1998)
M.A. (Theology), Fuller Theological Seminary, Pasadena, CA (1992)
M.A. (Missiology), Fuller Theological Seminary, Pasadena, CA (1991)
M.St.Ed. (Education), University of Wollongong, Wollongong, NSW, Australia (1983)
B.A. (History & Philosophy of Science), University of Wollongong, Wollongong, NSW, Australia (1980)
B.Sc. [Tech.] (Material Engineering), University of New South Wales, Sydney, NSW, Australia (1975)
About Robert Gallagher
Dr. Gallagher's professional interests include research into biblical theology of mission, the expansion of Christianity from postapostolic times to 1800, and leadership development of cross-cultural workers. He is an ordained offshore minister of the Australian National Council of CRC Churches International, as well as an ordained minister of the Christian and Missionary Alliance in the United States. From 2010-2011 he also served as the president of the American Society of Missiology. His personal interests include reading mission biographies, hiking, travel, watching feature films (1930-60), English mysteries, foreign films, and spending time with his family.
- INTR 504: Perspectives in Global Outreach
- INTR 514: Spiritual Formation & Witness
- INTR 521: Historical Foundations
- INTR 522: Contemporary Mission History
- INTR 531: Theological Foundations
- INTR 533: Great Thinkers in Mission
- INTR 534: Mission in Acts
- INTR 535: Holy Spirit & Mission
- INTR 556: Leadership Development
- INTR 571: Film & Mission
- INTR 667: Leadership in Cultural Context
- INTR 694: Missiology Mentoring Seminar
Membership in Professional Societies
- Cross-Cultural Narratives in the Old Testament
- Hermeneutics of Mission Theology
- Lukan Theology of Mission
- Pneumatology and Mission
- Encountering Missions History. With John Mark Terry. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Academic (Contracted).
- Landmark Essays in Mission and World Christianity. With Paul Hertig. American Society of Missiology Series, No. 43. Maryknoll, NY: Orbis Books (2009).
- Mission in Acts: Ancient Narratives in Contemporary Context. With Paul Hertig. American Society of Missiology Series, No. 34. Maryknoll, NY: Orbis Books (2004).
- Footprints of God: A Narrative Theology of Mission. With Charles E. Van Engen and Nancy Thomas. Monrovia, CA: MARC/World Vision (1999).
- Changing Worlds: Our Part in God’s Plan. With Nathan Bettcher and Bill Vasilakis. CRC International Conference. Adelaide, SA: CRC Churches International (2005).
- Landmark Essays in Mission and World Christianity. With Paul Hertig. Korean edition. Trans. by Jeon—seop Moon, Eun—young Moon, Hyung—gug Park, and Choong—hyun Paik. Seoul, Korea: Publishing House The Presbyterian Church of Korea (2012).
- “Coming to Gath: Migration as Mission Among the Philistines.” In God’s People on the Move: Biblical and Global Perspectives on Migration and Mission. International Association for Mission Studies series, VanThanh Nguyen and John M. Prior, eds. Eugene, OR: Pickwick Publications (2014): 29-45.
- “Engaging in Pneumatic Mission Praxis.” In Transforming Teaching for Mission: Educational Theory and Practice. Association of Professors of Missions series, Robert A. Danielson and Benjamin L. Hartley, eds. Wilmore, KY: First Fruits Press (2014): 117-149.
- “Missionary Methods: St. Paul’s, St. Roland’s, or Ours?” In Missionary Methods: Research, Reflection, and Realities. Evangelical Missiological Society series, No. 21, Craig Ott and J.D. Payne, eds. Pasadena, CA: William Carey Library (2013): 21-46.
- “That Hideous Strength (1945):" ‘Those Who Serve Devils,’ ‘Real Life is Meeting,’ ‘Anxiety Pitch,’ ‘Lost Love,’ ‘Clearly Known to be Criminal,’ ‘Like the Sound of a Weir,’ ‘Heaven Knows!,’ ‘Never More Than One,’ ‘Our Race’s Incurable Habit,’ and ‘The N.I.C.E.’ In The Soul of C. S. Lewis: A Meditative Journey through Twenty-Six of His Best-Loved Writings, Wayne Martindale, Jerry Root, and Linda Washington, eds. Carol Stream, IL: Tyndale House Publishers (2010): 147-158.
- “The Abolition of Man (1944):" ‘Belief in Objective Value,’ ‘It is Good,’ ‘Self-evidence as Proof,’ ‘Value as Sentiment,’ ‘Instincts at War,’ ‘Scepticism about Values,’ ‘Laughing at Honour,’ ‘Emotional States in Harmony,’ ‘The Doctrine of Objective Value,’ and ‘Irrigating Deserts.’ In The Soul of C. S. Lewis: A Meditative Journey through Twenty-Six of His Best-Loved Writings, Wayne Martindale, Jerry Root, and Linda Washington, eds. Carol Stream, IL: Tyndale House Publishers (2010): 135-146.
Peer Reviewed Articles
- “Inner and Outer Dimensions of Mission: A Historical Survey of the Role of Spirituality in Latin American Protestant Missiological Writings.” Journal of Latin American Theology: Christian Reflections from the Latino South 8:2 (Fall 2013): 87-101.
- “Living Between Two Mountains.” Faculty Voice Series. Wheaton 16:2 (Spring 2013): 60.
- “Mission from the Inside Out: An Integrative Analysis of Selected Latin American Protestant ‘Writings’ in Spirituality and Mission.” Missiology: An International Review 40:1 (January 2012): 9-22.
- “Salvation: Narrow Way but Broad Mission”—A Response to Christopher J. H. Wright’s Salvation Belongs to Our God. Evangelical Interfaith Dialogue 1:4 (Fall 2010): 10-11.
- “The Integration of Mission Theology and Practice: Zinzendorf and the Early Moravians.” Mission Studies: Journal of the International Association for Mission Studies 25:2 (October 2008): 185-210.
- “Zinzendorf and the Early Moravians: Pioneers in Leadership Selection and Training.” Missiology: An International Review 36:2 (April 2008): 237-244.
Selected Academic Presentations
- “Betrayal of Women Missionaries in Film,” American Society of Missiology, (June 20, 2015)
- “Women of Theological Truth, Nth. Central Evangelical Missiological Society (April 25, 2015)
- “Engaging in Pneumatic Mission Praxis,” Society for Pentecostal Studies (March 14, 2015)
- “Mission in Luke-Acts,” Intercultural Studies Doctoral Program, Assemblies of God Theological Seminary, Springfield, MO (December 8-12, 2014).
- “Covenantal Mateship: ‘Waltzing Matilda’ Along the Australian Road,” Religion in Southeast Asia Group, American Academy of Religion, San Diego, CA (November 23, 2014).
- “Engaging in the Theology of Ministry,” CRC Churches International, Adelaide, South Australia and Mildura & Melbourne, Victoria, Australia (July 31-August 19, 2014).
- “Me and God, We’d Be Mates: Towards an Australian Contextualization,” American Society of Missiology, St. Paul, MN (June 21, 2014).
- “Engaging in Mission Theology: An Integration of Covenant & Mission,” Association of Professors of Mission, St. Paul, MN (June 19, 2014).
- “Spiritual Formation and Intercultural Ministry,” Asian Access, Karuizawa, Nagano, Japan (May 29-June 2, 2014).
- “Mission and Evangelism in Changing Landscapes,” World Mission Institute (Catholic Theological Union, Lutheran School of Theology, & McCormick Theological Seminary), Chicago, IL (April 25, 2014).
- “Migration or Mission from Gath?: Philistines & the Kingdom of God (1-2 Samuel),” North Central Evangelical Missiological Society, Deerfield, IL (April 5, 2014).
- “Apostle Paul’s Missionary Methods,” Society for Pentecostal Studies, Springfield, MO (March 8, 2014).
- “Eli & Sons: Families in Conflict (1 Samuel 1-4),” Annual Evangelical Missiological Society, Dallas, TX (September 20, 2013).
- “Spiritual Practices for Cross-Cultural Workers,” Operation Mobilization International, Selçuk, Izmir Province, Turkey (August 20-24, 2013).
- “Biblical Foundations of Mission,” MAGL Program, Fuller Theological Seminary, Colorado Springs, CO (July 22-26, 2013).
- “Finishing Well in Stress-Filled Times,” Asian Access, Tokyo Metropolis, Greater Tokyo Area, Japan (June 19, 2013).
- “Advancing Missions in a Changing World: The Pace of Mission,” Council of the South Australian Church Leaders, Adelaide, South Australia, Australia (June 12, 2013).
- “Missionary Methods: St. Paul’s, St. Roland’s, or Ours?,” Dr. Barry Chant Lecture Series, Tabor College, Adelaide, South Australia, Australia (June 5, 2013).
- “Eli & Sons: Families in Conflict (1 Samuel 1-4),” North Central Evangelical Missiological Society, Deerfield, IL (April 13, 2013).
- “Davidic Mission Model: Intercultural Encounters in the Book of Samuel,” Christian Churches Annual Missions’ Conference, Ixmiquilpan, Hidalgo, Mexico (March 21-23, 2013).
Selected Academic Consultations
- Reviewer, Journal of World Christianity (2015-present).
- Editorial Advisory Board, Biographical Dictionary of Renowned Christians, George Thomas Kurian and Mark A. Lamport, editors (2014-Present).
- Reviewer, Journal of Religious History, Religious History Association (2012-Present).
- Reviewer, Missionalia: Southern African Journal of Mission Studies (2012-Present).
- Reader, Doctoral Dissertations, School of Intercultural Studies, Assemblies of God Theological Seminary, Springfield, MO (2011-Present).
- Reviewer, Academic Publications, InterVarsity Press, Downers Grove, IL (2010-Present).
- Reviewer, Doctoral Dissertations, EMS Dissertation Series, Evangelical Missiological Society (2009-Present).
- Reader, Doctoral Dissertations, School of Intercultural Studies, Fuller Theological Seminary, Pasadena, CA (2003-Present).