Associate Professor of French; Foreign Language Department
On Faculty since 2003
Office: Wyngarden 216
Ph.D., French, Tulane University, 2003.
M.A., Romance Languages (French), University of New Orleans, 1998.
B.S., Secondary Education, French, Millersville University, 1987.
Certificat de Français, Université de Lausanne, 1984.
About Sheri Abel
Dr. Abel's interests include French Louisiana literature, Maghreb literature, Southern literature, and comparative literature. She also enjoys cycling, hiking, kayaking, and enjoying good meals with friends.
- French 103: Accelerated Elementary French
- French 201: Intermediate French
- French 331: French Conversation
- French 334: French Louisiana
- French 335: French Culture & Civilization (in France)
- French 338: Advanced French (in France)
- French 347: French Literature 1800-1945
- French 371: Methods of Teaching Foreign Language
- French 432: Franco-Maghrebian Relations
- French 439: Survey of French Women Writers
- French 439: French Popular Culture
- French 494: Senior Seminar
Membership in Professional Societies
- American Association of Teachers of French(AATF)
- American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL)
- Christian Association of World Languages (CAWL)
- Louisiana Historical Society
- South Central Modern Language Association
- Women in French
- French Louisiana Literature
- Interdisciplinary French Studies
- Francophone Studies
- Southern Literature
- Nineteenth and Twentieth Century French Literature
- Women's Writing in French from the Middles Ages to the present
Charles Testut’s, Le Vieux Salomon: Race, Religion, Socialism, and Freemasonry. Maryland: Lexington Books, 2009.
"Conceiving New Orleans: A Francophone Expression," French Review, May 2007.
"The Stupid Aristocracy of Skin": The Black Persona in Charles Testut's, Le Vieux Salomon," New Zealand Journal of French Studies, Fall 2006.
"Glimpses into the Untold Story of Louisa Lamotte, Free Woman of Color." Presented at the Annual Meeting of the Louisiana Historical Association, March 2013.
“Louisa Lamotte: Creole Woman of Color, Educator, Directress, Grand-daughter of a French Privateer.” Presented at the SCMLA Annual Conference, October 2011.
“Charles Testut’s, Le Vieux Salomon : Influences of the Circum-Caribbean.” To be presented at the American Society for Ethnohistory Annual Conference, September 2009.
"Narrating Hope at the Crossroads: The Search for Wholeness & Belonging in the Work of Leila Sebbar." Presented at the NACFLA Annual Conference, March 2008.
"Inch'Allah Dimanche: a Story of Foreignness, Isolation, Hope, and Welcome." Presented at the NACFLA Annual Conference, March 2007.
« Language, h/History and Memory in Leïla Sebbar's :, Je ne parle pas la langue de mon père. Presented at the PAMLA Annual Conference, November 2006.
"Preparing Faithful Teachers & Scholars," Presented at the NACFLA Annual Conference, March 2006
Le Vieux Salomon: A Southern Antislavery Novel Transcends its Northern Forerunner. Presented at the PAMLA Annual Conference, November 2005.
"The Stupid Aristocracy of Skin"- Speaking out against the status quo." Presented at the NACFLA Annual Conference, March 2005.
"Southern Literature: Its French Undercurrent.” Presented at SCMLA Annual Conference, 2004.
“Answering the Call to Love the Stranger: Using French Films to Engage Students in Meaningful Cross-Cultural Viewing.” Presented at the NACFLA Annual Conference, Northwestern College, March 2004.
“Melancholia: An Internalized Act of Violence.” Presented at PAMLA Annual Conference, 2000.
“Réflexions sur la vie intérieure chez Mme d’Epinay et Mme de Puisieux dans Conversations d’Emilie et Conseils à une amie.” Presented at conference Femmes Ecrivains sous l’Ancien Régime, IV, 1999.
Faculty Fulbright Committee (2015-present)
General Education , Core Committee Working Group (2014-2015)
Chair, Foreign Language Department (2012-2015)
General Education Sub-Committee (2011-2015)
Student Teaching College Supervisor (French) (2005-present)
Methods Practicum College Supervisor (French) (2005-present)
Discipline Coordinator: Secondary Education Committee (2004-2015)
Advisor, French Majors & Minors (2004-present)
Chair, Secondary Education Committee (2008-2009)
Section Chair - French (2004-2005)
Participant, Facilitator, Diversity / Unity Discussion Group (2005)