Sociology & Anthropology Department
PROFESSOR EMERITUS OF SOCIOLOGY
On Faculty from 1983-2010
Ph.D., Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, VA, 1980. Dissertation titled, "Career Commitment in an Organizational Setting."
M.A., University of Kentucky, KY, 1971. Thesis: Black-White--Differences in the Use of Leisure
A.B., University of Miami, FL, 1969
Professional and Personal Interests
Before joining the faculty at Wheaton College in 1983, Dr. Nieves served as a Senior Research Scientist at Battelle, Pacific Northwest Laboratories in Richland, Washington. Since coming to Wheaton he served as Chair of the Department of Sociology and Anthropology for six years. He has also served as a consultant on work for the Department of Energy at Argonne National Laboratory. He preaches in local churches and is active in the United Methodist Church. In his spare time, Dr. Nieves is an avid angler who especially enjoys fly-fishing, fly-tying and photography.
- American Sociological Association (ASA)
- American Scientific Affiliation
- Southern Sociological Society
- Alpha Kappa Delta
- Midwest Sociological Society
Dr. Nieves helped complete the Latino Heritage Bible, serving as the general editor and contributing writer. This first-of-its-kind Bible focuses on the unique spiritual and cultural needs Latinos have in facing immense pressures to assimilate to American culture. Focusing on Latino students in Christian Colleges, Dr. Nieves co-directed a race/ethnicity text project with Dr. Bob Priest, an anthropologist at Trinity Evangelical Divinity School. Additionally, Dr. Nieves has conducted part time consulting on environmental justice and social research at Argonne National Laboratory in Illinois.
Papers Published and/or Presented
- Nieves, Alvaro L. 2012. “Race and Ethnicity in CCCU Schools: Rhetoric and Reality.” Pp. 199-210 in The Christian College Phenomenon: Inside America’s Fastest Growing Institutions of Higher Learning, edited by Samuel Joeckel and Thomas Chesnes. Abilene, TX: Abilene Christian University Press.
- Arnold, Dean E. and A. L. Nieves. 1992. "Factors Affecting Standardization." Pp. 93-113 in Ceramic Production and Distribution: An Integrated Approach, edited by G. J. Bey III and C. A. Pool. Boulder, CO: Westview Press.
- Nieves, Alvaro. L. 2000. "Evangelicals and Race." Evangelical Studies Bulletin 17(3):1-4. Review Essay of M. O. Emerson and C. Smith. 2000. Divided by Faith. N.Y.: Oxford University Press.
- Nieves, Alvaro. L. 1993. "Christ's Call to Compassion." Pp. 65-72 in Setting the Captives Free: Relevant Ideas in Criminal Justice and Prison Ministry, edited by D. Smarto. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Book House.
- Nieves, Alvaro. L. 1994. "Majority-Minority Relations: Biblical Exemplars." Urban Mission 12:24-34.
- Alvaro L. Nieves (General Editor), Alvin Padilla, Carlos F. Pozzi, Aida B. Spencer. 2003. The Latino Heritage Bible. Iowa Falls, IA: World Bible Publishers.
- Priest, Robert J.and Nieves, Alvaro L., Eds. 2007. This Side of Heaven: Race, Ethnicity, and Christian Faith. New York: Oxford University Press.