Ph.D. University of Maryland 1999
Dissertation: Limit Sets for Continuous Flows on Surfaces
B.S. Westmont College 1991
About Mary Vanderschoot
Dr. Mary Vanderschoot joined Wheaton's faculty in 2005. Prior to coming to Wheaton she taught for several years at Concordia College in Moorhead, Minnesota. She enjoys teaching all levels of college mathematics as well as pursuing her research in flows on surfaces and graph substitutions. She and her husband, Harry, have four young sons.
- Math 101 Quantitative Skills
- Math 218 Introduction to Calculus with Precalculus Mathematics
- Math 221 Applied Calculus
- Math 231, 232 Calculus I and II
- Math 245 Linear Algebra
- Math 301 Colloquium
- Math 331 Vector Calculus
- Math 333 Differential Equations
- Math 343 Discrete Mathematics
- Math 351 Analysis I
- Math 385 Topics in Applied Mathematics
- Math 451 Analysis II (Complex Analysis)
Membership in Professional Societies
- Association of Christians in the Mathematical Sciences
- Mathematical Association of America
- American Mathematical Society
Topological Dynamical Systems, Flows on Surfaces, Graph Substitutions, Fractals
Papers Published and/or Presented
- An Exotic Flow on a Compact Surface, with N. Markley, Colloquium Mathematicum, 84/85 (2000), 235-243
- Local Connectivity of Limit Sets, Rocky Mountain Journal of Mathematics, vol. 33, no. 4, Winter 2003, 1525-1538
- The Topological Dimension of Limits of Graph Substitutions, with M. Previte, Forum Mathematicum, 15 (2003), 477-487
- Remote Limit Points on Surfaces, with N. Markley, Journal of Differential Equations, 188 (2003), 221-241
- Limits of Vertex Replacement Rules, with M. Previte and J. Previte, Rocky Mountain Journal of Mathematics, to appear.
- Recurrent Orbits for Flows on Surfaces, with N. Markley, Journal of Differential Equations, 288 (2008), 1210-1229
- Modeling Biological Populations, with T. Contenza, M. Cox, J. Novak, and M. Teboh-Ewungkem, Dimacs Educational Module Series, (2008), http://dimacs.rutgers.edu/Publications/Modules/moduleslist.html.
- The Growth of Limits of Vertex Replacement Rules, with M. Previte and J. Previte, Journal of Graph Theory, vol. 73, no. 1, (2012), 103-117.