The Communication Department offers a wide variety of activities for students. With opportunities including theater, consortium programs, and an excellent debate team, the Communication Department helps students get involved during their time at Wheaton.
Opportunities in the Communication Department
- The Arena Theater, which presents three full length plays each year.
- A successful Parliamentary Debate team.
- Workout, a committed group of students training to be actors in Arena Theater.
- The Speech Center, providing online tutorials in all aspects of public speaking.
- Lambda Pi Eta, the official Communication Studies Honor Society of the National Communication Association (NCA).
- Pia Kappa Delta, a Forensics (Public Speaking and Debate) Honor Society for undergraduate university students.
- An annual Persuasion Fair
- Frequent guest lectures
- "Shakespeare in the Park," a summer production program with Prof. Mark Lewis and Mr. Andy Mangin
- Summer study program in Germany and Switzerland with Dr. Read Schuchardt (media studies)
- Summer study program in South Korea with Prof. Joonhee Park (video production)
- "Arts in London," a summer theater study program with Prof. Michael Stauffer
- National and Regional Communication Conventions
- Two Consortium Programs sponsored by the Council for Christian Colleges and Universities.