Applied Health Science
Postdoctoral Fellow, Division of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, Univ. of Kentucky, 1992-1994
Mentor: Mark Gillespie, PhD, Professor and Chair
Ph.D. Nutrition, The Penn State University, 1992
M.S. Nutrition, Maryland University, 1983
B.S. Psychology, Syracuse University, 1978
About Richard Baybutt
Dr. Richard Baybutt is Professor and Chair of the Applied Health Science Department at Wheaton College. He is both internationally and nationally recognized in the field of nutrition science. His research expertise is in the field of nutrition and toxicology where he has published in such prestigious journals as Journal of Biological Chemistry, Toxicology, Lipids, Current Pharmaceudical Design, and Journal of Nutrition. He has presented his research at such noteworthy colloquiums as the International Colloquium on Lung and Airway Fibrosis. He has been asked to serve as a panel member of the USDA study section to reveiw competitive grant proposals. While serving as a faculty member of the Kansas State University he was awarded the Dawley-Scholar Award for Faculty Excellence in Student Development because of his commitment to starting undergraduate research programs, as well as his mentoring of graduate students. Dr. Baybutt presently focuses on building the budding research program of the Applied Health Science department with its emphasis on pre-professional preparation and training for prestigious graduate programs throughout the country. Dr. Baybutt brings to Wheaton College over 30 years of experience in teaching in the field of nutrition, and joins Wheaton College’s mission to give the students highly qualified training in research and publishing, as well as the finest academic instruction in nutrition science and nutrition related fields.
Full Curriculum Vitae >
- Professor and Chair, Applied Health Science Department, Wheaton College, 2008-Present
- Professor, Applied Health Science Department, Wheaton College, 2007
- Associate Professor,* Department of Human Nutrition, Kansas State University, 2000-2007
- Assistant Professor,* Department of Human Nutrition, KSU, 1994-2000
- Instructor, Department of Nutrition and Food Science, Univ. of Kentucky, 1994 (during my postdoctoral fellowship)
*Graduate Faculty Status in the Human Nutrition Department and in the Interdepartmental Biochemistry Group and the Kinesiology Dept. at KSU.
- Chair, Applied Health Science Department, Wheaton College, Wheaton, IL, 2008-Present
- Chair, Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee, Wheaton College, 2011
- Chair, Provost’s Office, The Big Twelve Faculty Fellowship Selection Committee, 2004
- Chair, Faculty Council, College of Human Ecology, 2001-2002
- Chair, College Committee on Planning (CCOP), 2001-2002
- Chair, Nutrition and Exercise Faculty Search Committee, 2000
- Chair, Building Space Committee, Dept. of Foods and Nutr., 1995-1998
- Chair, Extension Search Committee, 1998
- Molteni, A., Saettele, T., Herndon, B., Baybutt, R.C., and Standard, J. Vitamin A Deficiency and Effect on Pulmonary Fibrosis in Rats: Reversal of Effects by Retinoic Acid. 17th International Colloquium on Lung and Airway Fibrosis, Modena, Italy, Sept 29 – Oct 3, 2012.
- Lawrenz J., Standard J., Nitz J., Kamal A., Mehrer A., Dim D., Herndon B., Rawls J., Molteni A. Flaxseed Oil Protection from Bleomycin-Induced Lung Vascular Damage: A Rat Model, 16th International Colloquium on Lung and Airway Fibrosis, Busselton, Western Australia, Australia, October 30 - November 3, 2010.
- Baybutt, R.C., Choi, S., Ransom, B., Herndon, B., Shaffley, S., Malburg, I., Kamal, A. Brennan, C., and Molteni, A. Protection from Bleomycin-Induced Fibrotic Damage in Rats by Flaxseed Oil Administration, 15th International Colloquium on Lung and Airway Fibrosis, Sunset Beach, North Carolina, September 28-October 4, 2008.
- Baybutt, R.C., Bruening, C., Quinn, T. Herndon, B., and Molteni, A. Dietary Fatty Acids as Adjuvants in Healing Bleomycin-Induced Fibrosis, 14th International Colloquium on Lung and Airway Fibrosis, Eltville, Germany, September 7-10, 2006.
- Molteni, A., van Dillen, C, Herndon, B., Quinn, T. Lindshield, B.,and Baybutt, R.C. Role of Retinoic Acid in the Pathogenesis of Cigarette Smoke-Induced Emphysema in the Rat, 13th International Colloquium on Lung and Airway Fibrosis, Banff, Canada, October 17-20, 2004.
- Baybutt, R.C., Herndon, B., Latcham, S., Li, T. and Molteni, A. Effects of Retinoic Acid and Captopril on a Lung Fibrosis Model, 12th International Colloquium on Lung and Airway Fibrosis, Glion, Switzerland, October 6-9, 2002.
- Baybutt, R.C., Latkowvich, P., Li, T., Rosales, C., Brady, H., and Molteni, A. Drugs, nutrients and their interaction in attenuating lung pathologies induced by monocrotoline. Lovelace Respiratory Research Institute International Symposium: Remodeling and Repair in Respiratory Diseases, Santa Fe, New Mexico, October 15-17, 2001.
- Baybutt, R.C., Rosales, C., Kobbermann, S., Li, T., Veno, P. and Molteni, A. Antioxidants vs angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitors protective effect in the monocrotaline induced model of experimental fibrosis in rats. 11th International Colloquium on Lung and Airway Fibrosis, Stockholm, Sweden, September 23-26, 2000.
Membership in Professional Societies
- American Society for Nutrition
- American Society for Nutritional Sciences: A constituent society of the Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology
- Societies for Experimental Biology
- Gamma Sigma Delta
- Sigma Xi Honor Society
- Omicron Nu Honor Society
Reviewer for Grants and Manuscripts
- Panel Member for the USDA (National Research Initiative Competitive Grants Program),
2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2011.
- Editorial Board for Frontiers in Nutrigenomics, 2011-present.
- Ad Hoc Reviewer for the American Diabetes Association, 2004, 2005, 2006.
- Clinical and Applied Immunology Review
- European Journal of Clinical Nutrition
- European Respiratory Journal
- Experimental Parasitology
- Journal of the American College of Nutrition
- Journal of Applied Physiology
- Journal of Nutrition
- Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry
- McGraw-Hill Publishing Company
- Respiratory Research
- Proceedings of the American Society of Experimental Biology and Medicine
- Research Excellence Committee for Sigma Xi to select the Master’s Thesis of the year
Sarah Morrison Grant Competition, School of Medicine, Univ. of Missouri-Kansas City, KS.
- School Food Service Research Review (Published book review in vol. 20, p 37, 1996)
- Wadsworth Publishing Company
- World Book Publishing (The World Book Encyclopedia)
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids and Prevention of Pulmonary Fibrosis
- Retinoic Acid (vitamin A) and prevention of Emphysema
Extramural Funding Received
- Department of Health and Human Services (National Institute of Health/National Cancer Institute), 2004-2007. Weight control, cell signaling and cancer prevention.
- US Department of Agriculture (National Research Initiative Competitive Grants Program), 1999-2004. Role of vitaming A in lung epithelial cell repair.
R. Thomas, E. Meadors, C. Pilgrim, H. Johnson, M. Smith, C.D. Ianuzzo, and R.C. Baybutt. Two weeks of low dose fish oil supplementation followed by a single bout of exercise Increases high density lipoprotein cholesterol in college-aged and middle-aged men. Nutrition Research, under review, 2012.
Xue, Y., Meadors, E.P., Wang, W., Baybutt, R.C. Microarray analysis reveals that dietary retinoic acid may suppress cancer-related gene expression of the lungs of cigarette smoke exposed rats. Journal of Nutrition and Food Sciences, in press, 2012.
Lawrenz, J.M, Herdon, B., Kamal, A., Mehrer, A., Dim, .D.C., Gasper, D, Baidoo, C., Nitz, J, Molteni, A., and Baybutt, R.C. Dietary flaxseed oil protects against bleomycin-induced pulmonary fibrosis. Pulmonary Medicine, (Epub 2012 Aug 08).
Xue, Y., Haub, M.D., Smith, B.W., and Baybutt, R.C. Decreases in bone mineral content by dietary all-trans retinoic acid precede decreases in bone mineral density in a weanling rat model of cigarette smoke-induced lung injuries. International Journal for Vitamin and Nutrition Research. 81 (1): 5-11, 2011.
Baybutt, R.C., Smith, B.W., Donskaya, E.V., Hu, L., Li, T., and Wang, W. The proliferative effects of retinoic acid on primary cultures of adult rat type II pneumocytes depend upon cell density1,2 In Vitro Cellular & Developmental Biology, 46: 20-27, 2010.
Weeden AM, Remig VM, Holcomb CA, Herald TJ, and Baybutt RC. Vitamin and mineral supplementation have a nutritionally significant impact on the micronutrient intakes of older adults attending senior centers. Journal of Nutrition for the Elderly 29 (2):241-254, 2010.
Xie, L., Jiang, Y., Ouyang, P., Chen, J., Doan, H., Herndon, B., Sylvester, J., Zhang, K., Molteni, A., Reichle, M., Zhang, R., Haub, M.D., Baybutt, R.C. & Wang, W. Effects of dietary calorie restriction or exercise on the PI3K and Ras signaling pathways in the skin of mice. Journal of Biological Chemistry, 282: 28025-28035, 2007
Baybutt, R.C. & Molteni, A. Vitamin A and emphysema. Vitamins and Hormones, 75: 385-401, 2007
Lu, J., Xie, L., Sylvester, J., Wang, J., Bai, J., Baybutt, R.C. & Wang, W. Different gene expression of skin tissues between mice with weight controlled by either calorie restriction or physical exercise. Experimental Biology and Medicine, 232: 473-480, 2007.
Baybutt, R.C., Herndon, B.L., Umbehr, J., Mein, J., Xue, Y., Reppert, S., vanDillen, C., Halder, A. and Molteni, A. Effects of cytokines and histology by treatment with the ACE inhibitor captopril and the antioxidant retinoic acid in teh monocrotaline model of experimentally induced lung fibrosis. Current Pharmaceutical Design, 2007.
Lu, J., Xie, L., Sylvester, J., Wang, J., Baybutt, R.C. and Wang, W. Different gene expression in weight control mice between calorie restriction and physical exercise. Experimental Biology and Medicine, 232:473-480, 2007.
Xue, Y., Williams, T., Li, T., Umbehr, J., Fang, L., Wang, W., and Baybutt, R.C. Type III pneumoytes modulate surfactant production in response to cigarette smoke constituents: restoration by vitamin A and E. Toxicology In Vitro, 19: 1061-1069, 2005.
Qu, H., Madl, R.L., Takemoto, D.J., Baybutt, R.C., and Wang, W. Phytochemical lignans associated with cancer prevention by wheat bran: anti-cancer characteristics in colon cancer SW480 cells. Journal of Nutrition, 135: 598-602, 2005.
Kamal, R., Molteni, A., Zoubine, M., Norkin, M., Reppert, S., Xue, Y., Baybutt, R.C., Herndon, B. & Shnyra, A. Diet high in retinoic acid controls M1/M2 acivation phenotypes in macrophages and protects from monocrotaline-induced pulmonary fibrosis. Nutrition Research, 24: 773-785, 2004.
Molteni, A., Herndon, B., Kamal, A., Castellani, W., Reppert, S., Xue, Y., Umbehr, J. & Baybutt, R.C. Effects of the antioxidant alpha-tocopherol in an experimental model of pulmonary hypertension and fibrosis: administration of monocrotaline. Nutrition Research, 24: 707-720, 2004.
Li, T., Molteni, A., Latkovich, P., Castellani, W., & Baybutt, R.C. Vitamin A depletion induced by cigarette smoke is associated with the development of emphysema in rats. Journal of Nutrition, 133: 2629-2634, 2003.
Baybutt, R.C., Hu., L. & Molteni, A. Vitamin A deficiency injures lung and liver parenchyma and impairs function of rat type II pneumocytes. Journal of Nutrition, 30: 1159-1165, 2000.